1.1.16

Project Stir - Story telling through International recipes.


I am so pleased and proud to be one of Sara Schotts Project Stir Ambassadors. 
I have waited till January 1st to do this post for a few reasons... 

No. 1 
  I have just become a Nana note not a grandma or grandmother A NANA ! Although if I could possibly find an an ounce of Spanish blood in my heritage I  would happily be an Abuela or Italian blood I would be a Nonna for sure. A Yiddish Bubba or German Oma would be just as nice. 

 But as I am an Irish / Australia I shall have to settle for Nana or the Irish or Gaelic word for grandmother is seanmháthair ((shan a WAW her), literally meaning "old mother."
This term would not be used to directly address a grandparent. Children would use instead Maimeó (MAM o) or Móraí (MO ree). Oooh I am liking the Morai one... 


No. 2 
  My mother couldn't cook ! She tried god bless her but ...... well we didn't starve. So my cooking prowess is self taught. 

So my Project Stir story shall begin with me as a Nana { Abuela, Nonna, Bubba, Oma and Morai } 
I hope you will join me here in this amazing project where i will hand down my recipes, tips and anecdotes not to mention LOADS of photos - my other passion. 

---oo0oo---

So it is New Years Day January 1st 2016 and here is my first recipe for you... 

Where else would I be this morning but in the kitchen our Global Pantry Foodie group are meeting for a family lunch and I have been requested to bring my Salted Caramel Toblerone Pavlova Torte. 


Ingredients : 
6 egg whites at room temperature
2 cups of castor sugar { Australian 250ml cup }
1 1/2 tsp plain white vinegar
1 /12 tsp vanilla
     OR 
1 Pavlova Magic Egg { from the supermarket 

Flaked Almonds enough to sprinkle on top each of the 2 pavlova .
300 ml whipped cream 
200 grams Toblerone Chocolate Bar gently melted and cooled slightly. 

Decorate: 
Dusting of Icing { Powdered Sugar } and Cocoa
Drizzle of salted caramel sauce  either homemade or pre bought { the latter being my preference } 

Method :
Pre heat oven to a slow heat 150 C / 300 F 
Beat egg whites in a clean NO oil bowl.  
{To make sure your bowl has no oil in it wipe out with a piece of paper towel moistened with vinegar.}  
Beat egg white till soft peak stage 
Add sugar 1 tbsp at a time beating well after each addition. 
Stop beating and scrape down the sides of the bowl - continue beating until all the sugar is incorporated. 
Fold in Vinegar and vanilla. 

Cover 1 extra long tray or 2 trays with baking paper. If you want even circular pavs trace circles on the wrong side of the baking paper. 
Divide Pavlova mix in half and spread evenly over your 2 circles approximately 2cms thick. 

Sprinkle the tops with flaked almonds they will stick nicely and toast at the same time adding that extra crunch in the end product. 

Bake for an hour. Turn off the oven and leave the door ajar for several hours or overnight to dry out the Pavlova. 

Filling :
Whip your cream and gentle fold through the melted Toblerone bar. The end result should look nicely marbled with some large streams of Toblerone visible.
Sandwich pavlovas together with cream and Flaked almond sides up.

Decorate :  
Sift a good dessertspoon of Icing sugar and teas of Cocoa together over the top followed by a light drizzle of Salted caramel sauce. 

Enjoy my friends and feel free to ask for help or leave a comment .. Marie 



5 comments:

  1. Oh my, this sounds delish!!! I am not sure what castor sugar is though. Is that something that can only be found in AUS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! First, congratulations on you first grand! I call all 14 of mine, "grands" in the collective sense. They mostly call me grandma with an occasional "granny" just to get my goat. They range in age from 8 months to 17 years. What a ride! ;)

    Secondly, I enjoy your writing style, it's lovely. ♡

    And third! That dessert! Wow, again! Can it possibly be as good as it looks? The recipe seems like something I could try too! What a fantastic photgraph! Stunning!

    Thanks for sharing, Marie! I'll think of you now when I hear the term, "salted caramel"! :)

    xoxoxo
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..I am so priveledged to have had not just one but two, magnificent pieces of this amazing, taste bud teasing pavlova..my taste buds have never been in such salty- sweet ecstasy..this is one sure fire winner of a pavlova!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm! Have copied this down to make myself, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing your Project STIR story!

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.